Day 13: Favourite placement

It has been a long time since I was a student nurse. Way back in 2001 was when I started on that fabulous project 2000. Therefore if my memories are a tad blurry, it was 17 years ago!

Casting my mind back, I must say my favourite placement was in A+E. I absolutely loved this area. Now I always will Say I'm rubbish in an emergency situation. I definitely trigger my flight responsevrather than my fight. This isn't exactly ideal as a nurse. I guess I am a controlled person and like to know what's happening. If something happens out of the blue it throws me.

The difference I found with A+E was that you had a warning. You always had a timeline and indication on what emergency was coming in. This meant you'd always have a period of time to work out what you needed to do before the patient arrived. It made all the difference.

Resus was definitely my favourite area to work in. I enjoyed the buzz and helping someone who can in really ill.

I learnt lots of skills on this placement you aren't always taught in nursing such as first aid. I've always found it strange that nurses aren't taught first aid. We know how to deal with certain situations such as unconscious patients, those requiring CPR and or anaphylaxis but not how to deal with someone whose broken their leg in front of you or cut their finger off.

It was an interesting place, and often you either loved it or hated it. You could go hours and hours rushed off your feet and then waits hours with nothing to do. Learn minor injuries, majors or even extremely poorly patients in rests. There was always something different. One day was always different from the next.

It covered all areas of nursing from mental health nursing, adult nursing, paediatric nursing and wound care. You could go from treating a nose bleed one minute to having a patient suffering from a heart attack. Another patient coming in with an exacerbation of COPD to a patient who need their fingernail trepanning.

You would see your fair share of those idiots who didn't need A+E, being neither an accident or an emergency, but they were treated none the less. Worst cases were those with paper cuts.

I guess I just loved the variety, the amount of learning and the fast pace of the department.

Back then I knew nothing of research. If I'd gone on a placement with a research nurse I'm sure this would have been my favourite.


Comments

Popular Posts