Day 23 nurses who inspire me

There have been many nurses who have influenced me over the years. I remember my manager at Heartlands whilst I was working on the admissions lounge and pre op assessment. She always believed in you and thought you could achieve anything if you put your mind to it.

It is perhaps a sign too that today is #hellomynameis day. Kate Granger was an amazing person who used her experiences to improve those of others. Ok she's not a nurse, but still inspirational.

My other inspirational nurse is a very good friend of mine, Sharon Kempson. When I started my career in research I didn't have a very good experience. The nurse whose team I went to work on was unfortunately a bully. She expected me to be able to be confident as a research nurse straight away and often became frustrated with me learning. I'd often be expected to run clinics on my own when she had an assistant. There were lots of other things she did and I started to hate work.

Thankfully I had the opportunity to work with Sharon, and the difference was astonishing. She had the patience of a saint. If I got things wrong she didn't have a go at me but showed me where I went wrong and how to do It right. She always had time for me. She made me stick with research and for that I am forever greatful. I am so proud of all that she has achieved. She is now a band 7 senior research nurse working in the clinical research network. She now manages several staff.

Helen Bevan is another nurse I aspire to be like. She has so many important messages to tell and is an agent for change. I see how she has become a highly skilled and motivated nurse who is passionate, and it make me think we can all achieve that if we work hard.

Another nurse who I have met on my Journey who I find inspirational is my line manager at Heartlands when I started working on the 100,000 genomes project. Amy Kerr has achieved so much in a short period of time. She conducts her own research studies, has been asked to speak at many conferences, has had articles published and so much more.

I was extremely shy when I worked with Amy and had little experience of talking in front of people. She gave me the encouragement to give speeches at conferences and helped improve my self esteem. I saw all the things in her that I would like to achieve myself.

There are probably many more but those are the ones that stand out most.

Comments

Popular Posts