Day21 what I like about nursing.

It's definitely not the money or child friendly hours that's for sure, but there is something magical about being a nurse.

You don't hear people making fun out of nurses, other than nurses themselves. We are proud to tell people we are a nurse. It is one of those professions held in high esteem by the public. Money isn't everything, but being appreciated is. There are some exceptions but on the majority we are respected and as I have said on numerous occasions an honour to help people.

My favourite part of being a nurse is the most important, the patients. Meeting them, finding out their storey. Helping in some small way. I really do feel like a broken record, constantly repeating myself.

When a patient thanks me, it is so heart warming. Patients inspire me. I have grown so much as a person for being a nurse. I have learnt so much.

I also like the many career paths you can travel as a nurse. You can do so many specialities. You can stay as a staff nurse if you want or eventually be the chief of nursing. As a nurse I can learn new skills all the time and become an expert through experience and knowledge.

One thing I particularly like about research nursing, is that it allows me to be autonomous. I like making decisions, not just being told what to do. I enjoy having my own case load of patients. I particularly enjoy being at the forefront of science and getting a ring side seat of new treatments, practices and technology. How amazing it is to see someone whose struggled with a rare condition or chronic condition start a new treatment and see how their quality of life improves. Medicines that wouldn't be available if it wasn't for innovative people and research. Our need to constantly improve things, make treatments cost effective, and streamline everything is what's made us have a first class health service.

I'm proud to say I'm a nurse.


Comments

Popular Posts