Day 19 favourite nursing topic

Now I wonder what this possibly could be. I guess my interests are around culture, organisational, research, everything, buts it's not exactly exciting. I had many discussions with fellow nursing around the Stafford Hospital affair which got everyone talking about organisational culture.

Would you feel comfortable being a whistle blower and challenging poor care. We ask this question and people seem incredulous that the answer wasn't always yes. It is extremely difficult to challenge those at a higher level than you. Have you ever tried telling a consultant they are wrong as a newly qualified nurse? We know what is right but when you are in that situation it's not as easy! Simple psychology explains people don't want to be different and go against the flow.

I have to say I've always been the type to rock the boat. I could happily tell someone I don't agree with them regardless of status, but it's not easy. I can understand why people don't. It does intrigue me though why we act the way we do, and how culture defines us.

A link to my other favourite topic is research, and you do have a distinct research culture too. Our NHS is built on research. Continuously improving, developing new treatments, new ways of doing things, impacting on people's lives. We need research, it is the very life blood of the Nhs. I love being part of this discipline. I was a scientist first before I went into nursing so feel very at home in research.

I have met incredible people, whose ideas and innovations astound me. It really amazes me how far we have come in medicine. How people even think about what to study, what questions need asking to improve patient outcomes.  Just thinking of all the discoveries we have made.

We can treat more and more complex conditions now. We have organ transplantation, test tube babies, fertility treatment, gene therapy, personalised medicines and immunotherapy. There is so much more to come.

Yet another major interest of mine encompasses many of those breakthroughs, genetics and genomics. We are in an era now where we can sequence (read) a person's genome and be able to see where there are any errors causing problems. Eventually we will be able to correct these errors. A genome is basically your instruction manual which tells you what parts you have, where they all go, How to repair you and how you function. It really is like a complicated car manual. We can then simply proof read it to see if there are any mistakes. We then use editing tools to correct these mistakes. This technology really does sound like Sci Fi.

In cancer, mistakes in the genome caused by copy faults, can be identified and personalised medicines can be used to target those changes. We really are living in a golden era.


Comments

Popular Posts